Our mission is to provide the finest camp experience for people of all ages- an experience that will be remembered for a lifetime. We are committed to quality and excellence in everything we do. We provide carefully designed programs and activities, a dedicated, experienced and well-trained staff, along with a caring, safe environment with premier facilities. Through education, sports, and fun, we offer opportunities for campers and team members to believe in themselves and to achieve their full potential.
The Summer Scholars Managing Director is based out of the ESF Headquarters office in Bryn Mawr, PA and reports to the Chief Talent Officer. The Summer Scholars programs offer bright students the opportunity to engage in challenging academic and enrichment-based offerings with fellow scholars who share a passion for learning. While the focus is on academic rigor and high-caliber learning outcomes, the social experience that results from bringing these students together is an integral part of the program.
The Managing Director is responsible for developing a scalable Summer Scholars Program including the detailed program offerings and necessary processes to operate the programs successfully. The Managing Director is also responsible for recruiting and staffing the programs with the best talent.
The Managing Director is responsible for developing the Summer Scholar program/curriculum while directing multiple Summer Scholars Programs at various sites for six (6) to eight (8) weeks over the summer. The Managing Director oversees the daily and overnight operations and curriculum development for this residential program (24/7) including the overall program, business, marketing, transportation, food service, and healthcare from the end of June through early August. Overall areas of responsibility include:
- Program development
- Site relationships
- Program execution quality
- Curriculum partner relationship management
- Talent acquisition and management
- Enrollment and revenue growth
- Customer retention
- Operating budget management
Position Scope Factors
- Programs will be six (6) weeks in length and will be located through Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and Connecticut with a plan for expansion. The pilot location will be in South Central, Pennsylvania.
- When the Summer Scholars Program is not in session, this position will be based at ESF Headquarters, in Bryn Mawr, PA with travel as needed to and from the site and program partner locations. During the inaugural Program season, this position will work in program location of South Central, Pennsylvania Monday through Sunday for six (6) weeks (end of June through early August, 2020).
- ESF operates on a seasonal basis. This means workloads fluctuate during the course of the year. Due to this fact, normal business hours are set from time to time by Division Heads based on seasonal demands. Typically, post-camp and fall business hours are 9:00am-5:00pm and increase during winter and springs months as the position requirements demand.
Essential Job Responsibilities
The Managing Director is responsible for the overall success of the Scholars Program, with additional responsibilities including:
- Oversee the entire operation of Summer Scholars Programs which include day and residential students
- Administer the admissions and financial aid programs, and oversee student recruitment programs to assure that the student body is diverse and well-qualified
- Lead curriculum development and explore innovative programs
- Grow the business and manage sales (collaborates with Marketing, Sales, Operations, Finance, Customer Engagement, etc.)
- Secure feeder schools to build Day Program admissions
- Build and manage parent advisory panels leading to “ambassador parents” who refer families
- Give tours to families
- Recruit and hire the best talent to deliver the program offerings
- Coordinate site relations (e. usage of indoor and outdoor facilities)
- Manage risks (operational challenges that can occur with facilities, staffing and/or site leadership in any given season)
- Support on-site leader with administrative tasks and help resolve issues that arise with respect to students (e., homesickness, medical, behavior, housing, etc.) and staff (scheduling, payroll, hiring paperwork, background checks)
- Identify new Summer Scholar school partners
Position Competencies for Success
We seek leaders who are looking for a long-term career and who will strive to grow with our company, while achieving merit-based increases in responsibility and compensation.
We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits package and the professional advantages of an environment that supports your development and recognizes your achievements.
- Minimum 4 years of program management experience in the education field; Summer Scholars program leadership preferred
- Talent acquisition/management experience required
- Previous residential program experience preferred
- Experience managing, motivating, training and building a team
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with multiple organizations
- Strong communication, organizational and leadership skills
- A background in sales and customer service
- Prior experience managing an operating budget preferred
- Passion for working with people
- Solid attention to detail
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Access to vehicle in order to execute on marketing goals and manage site logistics
- Bachelor's degree required
- Reports directly to the Chief Talent Officer
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Year-round position
- Minimum 40 hours per week during non-peak season; minimum 45-50 hours per week during peak season
- Requires extended periods of time at a computer workstation
- Some occasional distance travel required to ESF sites and events