AAUP removes two administrations from censured list, adds two more
- At the 99th Annual Meeting of the American Association of University Professors Saturday, delegates voted to place two more administrations on its list of 52 currently censured institutions while removing another two.
- The organization voted to censure the administration of Southern University at Baton Rouge for its decision during the 2011-12 school year to lay off 19 tenured professors while giving the faculty little to no say in the matter, while National Louis University found itself on the list over its elimination of departments and 63 full-time faculty last spring as a cost-cutting measure.
- St. Bonaventure University and Our Lady of Holy Cross College were both removed from the censure list for revisions to their faculty handbooks that improve shared governance and academic freedom.
- Additionally, the AAUP deferred any action on the University of Northern Iowa until 2014.
From the article:
... Censure by the AAUP informs the academic community that the administration of an institution has not adhered to generally recognized principles of academic freedom and tenure. With these actions, fifty-two institutions are currently on the censure list. ...
- American Association of University Professors Read More
Follow Roger Riddell on Twitter