Blackboard, innovation, and PARCC: The week's most-read education news
This week, news that Providence Equity Partners LLC is reportedly looking to sell LMS powerhouse Blackboard for $3 billion grabbed ed headlines. The company recently launched a "New Learning Experience" revamp of its platform to address user experience critiques, simplifying its product line across a single system with a greater focus on students' experience.
Meanwhile, we took a look at three steps for training teachers on innovative practices, shared with us by Dr. Jeanette Jones, a longtime teacher trainer and dean of education at American InterContinental University.
The shrinking number of schools and students in higher ed also got attention thanks to new data from the Education Department’s National Center for Education Statistics. Expect more of a spotlight in that area in the coming years, given the smaller size of the next generation of college students and the increase in institutional competition driven by that factor. And in K-12, PARCC could very well be at a tipping point, having only half as many states in its consortium as it started with thanks to Common Core controversies and testing troubles.
Be sure to check out our feature on higher ed's rise in copyright concerns with increasing video use and more in this week's most-read Education Dive posts!
- Blackboard owners reportedly seeking $3B sale: According to Reuters' sources, the private equity firm has hired Deutsche Bank AG and Bank of America Corp to oversee the sale.
- 3 tips for training teachers in innovation: Changing school models and tech-savvy students demand more training, administrator participation.
- Number of students, schools shrinks in higher ed: New data released by the Education Department’s National Center for Education Statistics show losses were spurred by for-profits.
- With increased video use comes greater copyright concerns for higher ed: Hundreds of individuals on any given campus produce video, often adding graphics, still photos, audio clips, and stock footage to round out their own material.
- Is PARCC at a tipping point?: What’s working for and against the testing consortium, from declining state participation to cost effectiveness.
Would you like to see more education news like this in your inbox on a daily basis? Subscribe to our Education Dive email newsletter!
Follow Roger Riddell on Twitter