The election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States of America left education with more questions than answers this week. The minimal detail on education policy provided during his campaign leaves plenty of uncertainty as to what educators should brace for. But with the House of Representatives, there's at least some idea of policy coming from Congress with Rep. Virginia Foxx expected to chair that chamber's education committee.
Meanwhile in non-election-related K-12 news, the Bridgespan Group recently included career pathways in its 'billion dollar bets' series, highlighting the ways in which they can guide students to success.
Be sure to check out our look at tech products to note from this year's Educause conference and more in this week's most-read posts from Education Dive!
- 6 ed tech products to note from Educause 2016: With some 300 exhibitors, the show floor at California's Anaheim Convention Center had plenty to take in during the conference.
- Why Virginia Foxx could be the key to higher education policy in 2017 and beyond: Numerous higher ed experts point to the Republican representative as a game-changer.
- Higher ed hopes President-elect Trump can help restore the industry: Now that the election is over, there is much work to be done to secure the future of the business model.
- Career pathways can engage students and set them up for success: The Bridgespan Group included career pathways in its recent 'billion dollar bets' series, calling on philanthropists to invest in connections between high school, college and career.
- Education community hopes differences can be reconciled with President-elect Trump: Despite overwhelming support for the Democratic nominee, hope remains the state of education will improve under the next president.
- State ballot initiatives rock K-12 policy: Four states voted on referenda that would greatly impact the K-12 landscape.
Would you like to see more education news like this in your inbox on a daily basis? Subscribe to our Education Dive email newsletter!